Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Incredible Jimmy Smith

I love my jazz, as many of you will no doubt have figured out by now, and although it's great fun writing for you all, there are some areas of jazz that can be covered better elsewhere. For that reason I've been scouring the internet looking for top notch jazz sites to reccommend, and with this one I think I've come up trumps. Jimmy Smith is without a doubt the greatest jazz organist bar none. He was the first musician to realise the potential of the Hammond organ in small group jazz and has worked in several styles including hard bop, big band and funk, all with a jazz edge. But don't take my word for it, visit the site and see for yourself. By the way, this post was written with the assistance of 'Dark Eyes' from the superb Cool Blues which is as good an example of Jimmy in a hard bop context as you could hope to find.

The Incredible Jimmy Smith

No comments: